MnCAN Aphasia Choir 2017 Season
Our Choir is aptly named “Voices Moving Forward“!
The Voices Moving Forward Aphasia Choir is going strong!
Performances planned for the 2017 season:
- Auburn Manor in Chaska has asked us to return for a Spring 2017 concert. It is tentatively scheduled for April 29, 2017.
- Minnesota Speech language Hearing Association (MSHA) state convention held April 7-8, 2017 in Mankato will be an exciting performance site! We are scheduled for Saturday April 8 at noon. A bus will be available to transport the group.
- Strike Out Stroke Day at the Minnesota Twins game at Target Field May 18, 2017 at 12:10pm. MnCAN’s Voices Moving Forward will lead people with aphasia in singing the National Anthem on the field.
We look forward to the fellowship and joy of singing!
*Notes on upcoming MSHA Convention on April 8: We will provide 15 minutes of music. Transportation to and from Mankato for the lunchtime performance will be provided by MnCAN. The Aphasia Group from Mankato would like to meet with us after the performance. The convention is at the Verizon Convention Center in Mankato. We are also working on making a DVD of Voices Moving Forward.
Here is the Spring 2017 rehearsal schedule:
Saturday March 11
Saturday March 18
Saturday March 25
Saturday April 1
No Rehearsal Saturday April 15 (Easter weekend)
Saturday April 22
St Johns Lutheran Church
300 East 4th Street
This is 2 blocks east of 41 which goes through downtown Chaska. The entrance in the back parking lot and leads right into the choir room. There is handicapped parking and wheelchair accessibility.
11:00 – 12:30
Following is the music we will be practicing:
We Shall Overcome by Pete Seeger and others
Music of Our Times:
Blowin’ in the Wind by Bob Dylan
Lean on Me by Bill Withers
You’ve Got a Friend by Carol King
What a Wonderful World by Wiesse/Thiele
Can’t Help Falling in Love with You by Wesse, Peretti, Creatore (sung by Elvis Presley)
Il Canto di Gatti (The Cat Song) by Rossini
Barbara Ann by The Beach Boys (with Kazoos!)
Songs From Rogers and Hammerstein:
Oh What A Beautiful Morning from Oklahoma
You’ll Never Walk Alone from Carousel
Getting To Know You from The King and I
Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music
If interested in joining Voices Moving Forward, contact
Heather Vangerud, MnCAN aphasia choir director at
Home 952-368-4412 or Cell 612-877-1031
- Songs will be selected because they have good rhythmic support and familiar melodies and words
- You will have song sheets of the words
- Volunteer singers who will be joining us to provide musical support.
- We encourage your spouse/significant other/ care partner to join us in song. We have also have a basketful of rhythmic instruments to support our singing.